Toby

Desensitising a dog to barking triggers?

How would I go about stopping my dark from barking at car horns? She’s normally very quiet but car horns really set her off barking and whining uncontrollably. 

• Like 1

We were told by a trainer that the best thing to do was to introduce the stimulus at a distance where it didn’t bother them and slowly bring it closer. spark would get excited at sirens so this was a bit tricky to simulate and it’s probably the same situation you’re in with horns. We ended up playing YouTube videos at low volume and rewarding him when he was quiet. It took some time but worked. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hiya. I’m a canine behaviourist. I’ve written a couple of books  and write many blogs on behaviour related subjects. I’m wondering if your dog barks at anything else ? The front door, people passing the home. It would be good to put into practice the method in other areas too. Here is one of my blogs  about barking. I do hope it helps 

https://www.bellaandduke.com/doggy-health-happiness/barking-dogs-puppies-home/

Edited by CarolineS
Spelling check