JustHatched

Scared of Thunder?

My Yorkie is terrified of thunderstorms, she will pace around to try to figure out how to get away from the noise. I don't know if this is the correct solution but what I did for her was to let her in my daughters room (daughter is here on weekends, at her moms thru the week), turn on the TV and a fan for mask the noise of the thunder and put a pillow under the bed. Seems to help except during extreme spring storms.

Maybe this will help you, or if you have any tips for me would be appreciated

It sounds like you have done the right thing to play noise and provide a 'den' for your pup. It might help to provide some of your own clothing with your scent on. You could try a calming spray for pets in the area around where your pet is hiding from the storm.

Also a toy that will help to distract your pet such as a kong filled with peanut butter that will take time to lick out will distract their attention.

In the mean time try some desensitisation, such as playing thunderstorm sounds found on youtube.

• Thanks 1

That's good advice. Don't overwhelm them with the sounds and gradually increase the volume and frequency. If they show any signs of stress, dial it back. Associate the noise with positive things like play and treats. Big booming noises are scary though so this is a natural reaction but you can make it less of a big deal for them over time. Try not to drastically alter your own behaviour during storms too. Show your dog you're not phased by it. 

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately my wife and kids usually spaz out during the rough storms, we are just a bit out of tornado alley so we see our share of house shaking thunder in the spring 

Edited by JustHatched

On 27/02/2019 at 18:56, JustHatched said:

we are just a bit out of tornado alley

Perhaps Sadie saw what happened to Toto’s house in The Wizard of Oz

• Haha 1