Jump to content
  • Jo De Klerk

    Poisonous Plants And Dogs - What To Watch Out For

    I heard through your dog chat page that daffodils are poisonous! I’ve got a little puppy and wasn’t aware of this. Luckily, he didn’t chew any while they were in bloom a few weeks ago. But what other plants must I watch out for around the garden which could be dangerous? – Katie

    Oh yes, Katie, you must be careful of daffodils around your dog. Luckily, the bulbs are the most poisonous part, however they can still become ill through eating the flower or by drinking the water from a vase. Signs of poisoning includes vomiting, stomach upset and salivation, but can escalate to dogs appearing sleepy, wobbly on their legs, or collapsing. In more serious cases it can result in changes to heart rate, body temperature and blood pressure, and even lead to a seizure.

    Here are some other plants to be cautious about:

    Tulips

    tulip.jpg

    The toxins are particularly irritating to the mouth and digestive system, resulting in drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea.

    Crocus

    crocus.jpg

    Most crocus species will only cause a mild stomach upset, but the Autumn Crocus can cause kidney and liver problems too.

    Tomato Plant

    tomato-plant.jpg

    The actual tomatoes are fine, as long as they are ripe, but the leaves and stems for the plant can cause stomach pain, weakness, difficulty breathing and a slow heart rate.

    Rhododendron

    rhododendron.jpg

    These are highly toxic, particularly in small dogs, and can cause serious stomach upsets.

    Deadly Nightshade

    deadly-nightshade.jpg

    As the name suggests, this can be deadly. The plant, especially the berries, affect the nervous system.

    Foxglove

    foxglove.jpg

    This plant contains toxic cardiac glycosides, which means that it can cause heart disturbances. In addition to this, it can lead to nausea, diarrhoea and kidney problems.

    Poison Hemlock

    hemlock.jpg

    Even a small amount of this plant can cause a dog to die. It is also toxic to humans and livestock. It leads to respiratory paralysis.

    By no means it this an exhaustive list, and there are many other plants out there, both around the house and out on walks, so the best advice is not to leave anything to chance. If you think your dog has ingested any plant, then contact your vet immediately before symptoms appear.

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

    Share This Article

    Jo De Klerk

    Jo is a graduate of the Royal Veterinary College, London. She has a Masters degree in Tropical Animal Health, and has spent most of her career working in mixed veterinary practice.

    Recently, she has become involved in one of the UK’s fastest growing veterinary telemedicine services for dogs and cats.

    She is a published author of several books, and enjoys working as a freelance veterinary writer around her clinical work.


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

×